Point to point GPS data logger for cab vehicles monitoring systems
This project is very useful for all transportation systems. In this we will store latitude and longitude values using GPS modem as the vehicle is moving and update these values in excel file which is developed on SD card using ARM7 based LPC2148 micro controller.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a space-based satellite navigation system that provides location and time information in all weather, anywhere on or near the Earth, where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites. It is maintained by the United States government and is freely accessible to anyone with a GPS receiver.GPS module provides the information of latitude, longitude of current position and exact GMT time and we can also find out vehicle speed with GPS module.
The NXP (founded by Philips) LPC2148 is an ARM7TDMI-S based high-performance 32-bit RISC Microcontroller with Thumb extensions 512KB on-chip Flash ROM with In-System Programming (ISP) and In-Application Programming (IAP), 32KB RAM, Vectored Interrupt Controller, Two 10bit ADCs with 14 channels, USB 2.0 Full Speed Device Controller, Two UARTs, Two I2C serial interfaces, Two SPI serial interfaces Two 32-bit timers, Watchdog Timer, PWM unit, Real Time Clock with optional battery backup, Brown out detect circuit General purpose I/O pins.
In this project micro controller will take latitude and longitude with current time given by GPS module and update these values in a excel format file on SD card.
The advantage of SD memory card is we can store more data, the storage range is in Giga Bytes and the read and write time is too fast and we can create files in suitable formats. The communication between SD card and our controller is established using SPI communication. And the advantage of using LPC2148 micro controller is it has two inbuilt SPI serial interfaces and can communicate with high speed as it is 32 bit controller.
SD CARD SLOT
- KEIL IDE for developing micro controller code
- ORCAD for designing schematics
- FLASH MAGIC for dumping the hex file into controller
- ARM7 based LPC2148 Micro controller.
- GPS Receiver.
- SD card.
- 3.3v CMOS battery and 32.768 KHz crystal for inbuilt RTC chip of LPC2148.
- Regulated +3.3v and +5v Power supply.
- We can avoid fake transportation trips
- Easy for new drivers to go through daily root
- We can measure speed of the vehicle.
- We can come to know complete travel parameters like where the vehicle stopped and how much time they stopped ,etc
- Useful for busses of colleges, schools, offices, etc
- Can be used to detect speed zones in advance.
- Police patrolling vehicles.
- Government or some office cabs to avoid personal usage.